[bind10-dev] Windows support update

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun May 8 17:57:32 UTC 2011

On 5/8/2011 4:04 AM, Francis Dupont wrote:
>> Ah, so it's the compiler itself that is causing a problem, specific to
>> C++. Nasty.
>
> => yes, MSVC is not a C++ compliant compiler (if such a thing exists,
> I am not convince by the C++ standardization :-). For instance before
> VS 2010 there is no stdint.h / cstdint...

Since VS 2010 Express is now free you might want to consider making VS
2010 the earliest version that you want to support, especially if you
need stdint.h cstdint.h etc. in your builds. It's easier to deal with
one compiler in the beginning.

> Often C++ code is written for recent GCC so it should not be a surprise
> it doesn't work for old C++ compilers, including old version of GCC BTW.

And you know how difficult it becomes to support multiple versions of
the compilers...

> In our case it is not really a problem because there are some OS
> dependencies too (e.g., IPv6) so it is expected to get recent C++
> compilers. For Windows it means at least Vista or 2008 Server so
> to require at least VS 2008 is not a shame.

You probably want to set a minimum version of both compilers and
platform. Technically Windows XP and Windows 2003 are still very popular
and Vista was never that popular. I see a lot of newer installations of
Windows 2003 R2 and Windows 2008 and Windows 7 looks like it's going to
take over from XP as the standard Windows desktop/laptop platform. Are
there specific library functions you need in Vista and later or is that
not yet an issue?

We dropped support for Windows 2000 in BIND9 18 months ago because we
started to use a function ConnectEx() in a library that was not
available before XP. Today, in addition, you need to make sure you have
full support for IPv6.

Danny