[bind10-dev] Statistics planning

Naoki Kambe kambe at jprs.co.jp
Tue Nov 15 09:17:10 UTC 2011

(The original messages were sent to the bind10-team list.)

From: JINMEI Tatuya <jinmei at isc.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 11:17:22 -0800
> - IMO we should try to plan at least one new user-visible feature
>   regarding statistics in each snapshot release.  We can then have
>   more focused, realistic plans on detailed tasks in the sprints for a
>   specific release.  This can be discussed at the first sprint
>   planning meeting of each release cycle (the next sprint planning
>   call is one such meeting).
> - As for the task sizes, IMO other developers than JPRS should be more
>   involved in task breakdown at the sprint planning meeting, or,
>   preferably, in a pre-meeting phase for the planning meeting using
>   email.  I believe others should be involved because it's them (us)
>   who will eventually review the code even if the JPRS developers
>   solely work on the tasks.
> - Also, in terms of releasing a specific statistics feature, I believe
>   we (all) should even be more closely involved in the development
>   process.  For example, we keep track of the progress of statistics
>   for the first two sprints in a release cycle, and if it's less
>   likely that we can complete the visible feature by the release we'll
>   include the remaining tasks in other planned tasks at a higher
>   priority and everyone will work on it.

Thank you for suggestions and very sorry for my late response.
Yes, we, JPRS members are glad to discuss closely.

We planned before as the wikipage
http://bind10.isc.org/wiki/Year3Plan#ReleasePlanforStatistics , but
we cannot progress as that plan. So we will re-plan as the following.

  2012-01-12 (Y3-6)
   Statistics items in Auth module collected completely
   Stats SNMP interface basic-designed
  2012-03-29 (Y3-8)
   Statistics items in Xfrin/Xfrout module collected completely
   Stats SNMP interface implemented

If this is OK, we will start to break down these high-level tasks into
user-visible one-print size tasks. But if you have other requirements
about statistics or you have good ideas about the task breakdown,
please let me know.

------
Naoki Kambe