DHCPv6 server prefix delegation route injection

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Sun Apr 8 16:25:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

Also faced with a ISC dhcpd that dishes out dhcp-pd to clients I needed to inject routes into the routing table as well.

The hack I've made so far isn't the cleanliest, but it appears to work well.

In pfSense we already had a dhcpleases daemon that executed upon the dhcpd.leases. We've made a new version for dhcpd6.leases, that executes a command whenever the dhcpd6 leases file changes.

It also cleans up any stale route entries by parsing the log file for "releases prefix" messages.

The source to the dhcpleases6 is here:
https://github.com/bsdperimeter/pfsense-tools/tree/master/pfPorts/dhcpleases6/

The script we execute is a PHP script that parses the dhcpd6.leases file and injects the routes into the routing table.
https://github.com/bsdperimeter/pfsense/blob/master/usr/local/sbin/prefixes.php

Hope this helps anyone else out there needing something similar.

The real fix would be something of a routing daemon that interfaces with dhcpd -6 or with dhcrelay -6 to inject routes into the system for Prefix Delegation to work as intended.

On that note, I've had a heck of a time finding any current development sources for ISC dhcp. No git, CVS or svn tree anywhere. Surely there must be some way to get into contact with any of the other developers.

Kind regards,

Seth Mos
pfSense developer