Running DHCP over PPP interface

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Apr 14 10:29:14 UTC 2006

>Subject: Running DHCP over PPP interface
>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:13:47 -0400
>From: "Dutta, Ashutosh" <adutta at telcordia.com>
>
>We are having problem running dhcpclient over a PPP interface.  Does dhcpclient
support PPP interface?

>Thanks
>Ashutosh

Typically PPP interfaces use the PPP link control protocol (LCP) to
acquire an IP address from the other end. I don't think DHCP will ever
work in this situation.

What typically happens on the 'server' end is that the remote
access server might be configured to make a dhcp request and
then use PPP-LCP to transmit this IP address to the other end of
the PPP link.

Perhaps a little more detail on what you are trying to achieve
might assist?

regards,
-glenn