Running DHCP over PPP interface

Dutta, Ashutosh adutta at telcordia.com
Fri Apr 14 14:43:37 UTC 2006

Glenn thanks for your email. The applicability has been discussed in pppext mailing list. It was suggested to use PPP to obtain IP address and use DHCP to obtain the server address (e.g., SIP server etc.). This could be applicable in a CDMA2000 environment.

In my case, I use PPP to obtain an IP address from the PPP server and use DHCP to obtain other server related information. Thus PPP server can act like a relay or DHCP server can always co-exist with the PPP server as well. At this time when we run dhclient -d ppp0, the DISCOVER packet gets garbled and never reaches the PPP server also.

Thanks
Ashutosh