dhcp-client passing ISP dsn info to dhcpd

Kevin Dierking Kevin.Dierking at arrisi.com
Thu Apr 27 15:50:33 UTC 2006

In a perfect world your solution might be feasiable.......
however some of us only have one choice for high speed internet
connections and must deal with this exact issue.

Douglas Armstrong <doug at ovationdata.com>
Sent by: dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org
04/27/2006 10:11 AM
Please respond to
dhcp-users at isc.org

dhcp-users at isc.org
cc

Subject
Re: dhcp-client passing ISP dsn info to dhcpd

 The easiest solution is to change to an ISP that dose not jack around
with
nameservers. The only time I have ever had to change my 'option
nameserver'
on my home network since 1992 is when I changed providers.  As with ISP
that
change your IP, changing name servers more than once is reason to look for
another.
Doug Armstrong
www.ovationdata.com[1]

fbsd wrote: Sorry but your solutions is not a solution at all. It just
changes where I have to do the hand edit and consumes more resources by
running a un-needed caching domain name server. Since dhcp-client and
dhcpd
are same basic application it seems to me that the developers missed
seeing
the need to have them talk to each other. This seems like am simple
oversight. I am sure I am not the only user who wants the dhcp-client to
automatically update dhcpd with the ISP's new dns ip address when the ISP
changes them. Other people have suggested to modify the dhcp-client script
that updates resolv.conf by having it issue stop command to dhcpd, auto
edit
dhcpd.conf "option domain-name-servers" line and issue start dhcpd so
dhcpd.conf gets re-read. That kind of script writing is way above my
ability.Does anybody on this list have such a customized script or is
there
some place where users post such things to share with the public that I
can
search for it? -----Original Message----- From:
dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org[2]
[mailto:dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org[3]]On Behalf Of Glenn Satchell Sent:
Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:46 AM To: dhcp-users at isc.org[4] Subject: Re:
dhcp-client passing ISP dsn info to dhcpd From: "fbsd"
<fbsd at a1poweruser.com>[5]To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>[6] Subject: dhcp-client
passing ISP dsn info to dhcpd Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:21:37 -0400 I use
dhcp-client to fetch the dhcp info from my ISP at boot time. The
resolv.conf
file gets updated with the ISP's dsn ip address. I also run an private LAN
and use dhcpd. I have to explicitly edit by hand the dhcpd.conf "option
domain-name-servers" statement when ever my ISP changes their default dns
ip
addresses. Is there some option I missed that will automatically update
the
dchpd parameter when dhcp-client changes the content in resolv.conf? Does
anyone have a custom script to perform this function they are willing to
share? The simplest way around this is to run your own caching domain name
server. On the gateway client dhclient runs as it does now. But in
dhcpd.confyou point all the private clients to your local dns server
address.The only trick with this is that whenever the ISP changes the IP
address of the DNS server you'll need to update the forwarding entry for
yournew DNS server. regards, -glenn

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.ovationdata.com
   2 mailto:dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org