VLANS and DHCP

Allie M Hopkins allie at lsu.edu
Fri Aug 18 14:37:20 UTC 2006

I know everyone has given ideas on what you *should* do, but here is how to
do exactly what you originally asked:

create files for each vlan in
/etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.<vlan tag id>

which contains the following:

DEVICE=eth1.<vlan tag id>
IPADDR=10.39.108.47
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
VLAN=yes

The important part is the VLAN=yes line.  Run service network stop/start or
whatever equivalent on your FC5 machine.  You can see the interfaces with
ifconfig and can control them just like any other interface.

I had to do this for one portion of our setup behind a firewall since the
pix didn't pass dhcp requests like a normal router.

Good luck.

Allie

                      "Steve Wenger"
                      <steve at nconnectwi        To:       dhcp-users at isc.org
                      reless.com>              cc:       (bcc: Allie M Hopkins/allie/LSU)
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: VLANS and DHCP
                      dhcp-users-bounce
                      @isc.org

                      08/17/2006 11:17
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      dhcp-users

I will be running it on Fedora Core 5,  I am going to have approx 100 total

vlans to start, and I know it can be done I am just not sure how to get it
done.

Steve Wenger
Nconnect Internet and High Speed Wireless.
Got a need for speed?  We have a solution for you!