giving bootp request ONLY once

Yayati Singh yayatisingh at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 12:29:11 UTC 2006

 Glenn Satchell wrote: Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:35:44 +0530 From: Yayati
Singh <yayatisingh at yahoo.co.uk>[1] To: dhcp-users at isc.org[2] Subject: Re:
giving bootp request ONLY once Yayati Singh wrote: I meant bootp, Since
everytime the machine would boot it would get a bootp directive and start
re-installing the OS ( i use pxe ). So i have to sit down on the machine
console every time it reboots for the first time and do the following: #1
change the boot order in the BIOS, to boot from the hardisk. or #2 Change
thedhcp.conf and comment the particular host, restart dhcpd. i want to avoid
all these and do an un-attended installation of OS when needed, without
sitting on the console to do some manual intervention in preventing the
machine going in a reboot loop. The other application is we have many
appliances, which we kickstart from time to time, but we need not always
reboot the appliances with kickstarting in mind, so on post install on the
first reboot we have to manually disable PXE boot on the appliances. This
whole process gets painfull. We wanted to see if we can control bootp from
dhcpd itself. Hence controlling OS installations when ever needed. We have
one method which could be a starting point, listen for dhcpd syslog messages
for serving the particular client, and after serving the client message is
found modify dhcpd.conf and restart dhcpd not to serve that clientagain. but
dhcpd does not give a clean message of bootp on the syslog. Any more ideas
??Hi Yayati, So if I understand correctly you want to be able to do a pxe
boot and get a bootp response, but other times you don't want this to
happen.So it looks like you need to do one of two things: 1. modify dhcpd to
not respond to a particular host 2. modify the client to not try to do a net
boot. Perhaps using omapi (try man omapi, and man omshell for examples) to
add and remove hosts would be one way. At least this doesn't require
stoppingand starting dhcpd. You could also create a couple of wrapper
scriptsto add and remove arbitrary hosts before net booting and afterwards.
Thanks for understanding my requiremnts very well.
I could use dhcpctl, as well.
However my concern is not dhcpd wrapper scripts to reconfigure dhcpd but,
An event generated from dhcp, saying the client has been successfull given
the bootp information, and this event would in turn fireup the wrapper
scripts to delete the hosts from dhcpd's database.

alternatively i could look at tftp, which servers the bootp image, and get a
trigger from their, however would prefer if i could control bootp from dhcpd
itself.

- Yayati.

regards, -glenn

--- Links ---