DHCP support for InfiniBand

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Mar 17 19:29:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 11:01:31AM -0800, Barr Hibbs wrote:
> ...I had totally missed the discussion about InfiniBand on

And I just didn't pay attention.

Yeah, go ahead, throw rocks at me, I deserve it.

> 'chaddr' either all zero bits or all one bits.  I also noted
> that implementors cannot rely on all DHCP servers to
> "support" the 3315-style Client Identifiers called for in
> the draft [not that it would matter, really, as servers are
> supposed to treat the Client Identifier as an opaque value,
> so I remain puzzled why they called for it to be formatted
> that way.]

I actually remember this vaguely, I think Ted asked them to do
it on the dhcwg mailing list (I remember because they initially
resisted since this meant they would have to wait for that
draft).

The 3315-style client identifier is the only one we expect
people will use in terms of protocol reference, and referencing
that directly is easier than sending people down the rathole to
have to figure out there's an RFC that updates rfc2131.

That's how I remember it, anyway.

> Finally, I agree with both Eli and David that servers are
> NOT required to return the Client Identifier and that the
> draft doesn't call for it, so other than the use of
> BROADCAST for DHCPOFFERs and DHCPACKs, it doesn't look like
> any server modifications would be necessary.  [David--I
> haven't checked the source code in a long time, but DHCPD
> did not validate 'htype' in the past:  if it does today,
> that might be the only change necessary, to permit address
> type 32.]

I don't believe there's any validation.  The only real tool I
can use to measure that is 'grep', and it's incomplete, but
on the other side I'm aware that we do receive, process, and
respond to DHCPINFORMs where:

	htype
	hlen
	chaddr
	ciaddr

Are all set to zero.  In the absence of ciaddr, we do our
best to try and figure out how to reply to the client.

A brief glance of RFC2131 would tell you that's being
incredibly liberal in what we receive.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."