XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

Jonathon Hvizdos hvizdos at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 21 19:34:37 UTC 2006

Doesn't that create an potential issue for renewals, which are not
broadcast's?  The initial lease extension DHCPREQUEST would be directed to
your gateway (unicast), which would not forward them since they aren't
broadcasts.  I guess he client would then broadcast its DHCPREQUEST before
breaking, but less broadcast traffic is better IMHO.
Regards,

Jonathon Hvizdos
IBM Global Services
IP Services
hvizdos at us.ibm.com
877-234-8167
t/l 273-1896

Corey Gillespie <coreyg at iowatelecom.com>
Sent by: dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org
03/21/2006 11:34 AM
Please respond to
dhcp-users at isc.org

dhcp-users at isc.org
cc

Subject
Re: XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

I've taken a different approach to this issue with win32 dhcp clients.
  All of our clients get addresses that are forwarded by cisco
dhcp-helper.  I set the dhcp-server option to the ip address of the
client machine's gateway, which seems to universally solve problems with
Windows machines ignoring offers for a lease (windows firewalls present
a different problem).  I'm not sure why at the moment, but setting the
broadcast address of your routers to 255.255.255.255 seems like a bad
idea.

--
Corey Gillespie                                          Desk:
641-269-7599
Iowa Telecom coreyg at iowatelecom.com