how is the client identifer used in other DHCP servers.

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Mar 23 13:50:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:15:46AM -0500, Ralph Blach wrote:
> Any comments of RFC 4361 which seems to change this?

You could say I made several comments.

The main problems I forsee are for server administrators, not client
implementors or users, or anything else.

Basically it exacerbates current problems when you have a single client
(a single machine) that, due to having different software loaded at
different times (some of those perhaps during bootstrap) winds up
identifying itself inconsistently.

But to my recollection, RFC4361 never updates rfc2131 on the specific
section I quoted earlier ("servers are supposed to treat identifiers
as opaque blobs").

So I don't think it changes anything for what you've asked about.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."