Configure Leasetime

Chinmaya S. Narayana Reddy chinmayareddy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 20:08:32 UTC 2006

Simon,
Here is the deal,

The clients/devices in my network would have to have different lease times.
For e.g, one device may have 1day, second say 1hour (both devices
are served by single DHCP).

My UI allows user to specify DHCP options to for each device.
I let user specify option 51 (dhcp-lease-time), which
user expects to be the lease-time for that device.

I understand lease-time decision made by Server. Question is,
can I trick server to force, the client, to use lease-time decided by user?
In the previous mail, you suggested use min, max to have same value.
I was wondering if I can force server to use value of option 51 as the
lease-time
in offer and ack? Basically I need to understand the rules the server uses
decides the lease-time for offer/ack?

The reason we need to force the lease-time is, we want to study the exact
behavior of DHCP client in terms of lease renew.

thanks
chinmaya swaroop