DHCP Server not using Declared Names

Blair Copeland copeland at unt.edu
Thu May 18 23:35:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Simon Hobson wrote:

>>    May 18 15:50:00 ns0005 dhcpd: Added new forward map from
>> nt106223.ddns.unt.edu to 129.120.17.174
>

>> host ambulance.ddns.unt.edu {
>>       fixed-address 129.120.223.230;
>>       ddns-hostname "ambulance";

I think I just figured out the problem.

It appears that I have to specifically include the

     allow members of "secure-hosts";

in the pool to get the functionality to occur.  Just adding it to the
host block apparently does not get the functionality to occur in each
pool when the client appears in that pool.

With both servers active and the above line added to the pool everything
seems happy and quick now.  i was trying to test with only one server
active and that casued problems with the client not moving easily
between pools.

Possibly the fixed-address was restricting the scope of the
use-decl-host-names...

Anyway thanks for your help.  If anyone else sees anything odd with the
config please feel free to email me.

Thank You...

Blair Copeland                                        Ph# (940) 565-4180
Communications Manager                                FAX (940) 565-4060
Network Operations and Services	                      TTY (800) RELAY TX
Data Communications                                   noc.unt.edu/~copeland
Computing and Information Technology Center           copeland at unt.edu