Failover strangeness

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Nov 2 22:44:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:34:40AM -0500, Greg G wrote:
> 4.  Primary comes back up.  Secondary goes to normal mode.
> 5.  Secondary continues to handle the lease.

This is normal, isn't it?  The client in question has been given
a server-id for its lease, and renewals always go via unicast
the identified server.

It won't change until the client loses its binding and finds a new
one (eg reboots), but even so some clients will skip rebind and
still manage to contact a different server.

> 6.  I told the primary to operate in partner-down.  It went back to
> normal mode in about 2 seconds.  (This also forces a peer update.)

Why would you do this while the secondary was operating?

I'm not sure what effects this will have upon the software.  I
honestly have never tested it.  It's probably the reason you
are getting 'no free leases'.  But that's a guess.

This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, anyway.