Failover strangeness

Greg G ggersh at ctc.net
Tue Nov 7 21:48:01 UTC 2006

David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:34:40AM -0500, Greg G wrote:
>
>> 4.  Primary comes back up.  Secondary goes to normal mode.
>> 5.  Secondary continues to handle the lease.
>>

> This is normal, isn't it?  The client in question has been given
> a server-id for its lease, and renewals always go via unicast
> the identified server.
>
> It won't change until the client loses its binding and finds a new
> one (eg reboots), but even so some clients will skip rebind and
> still manage to contact a different server.

   Right.  This is totally normal behavior.  I was just giving the whole
trace of what happened.
>> 6.  I told the primary to operate in partner-down.  It went back to
>> normal mode in about 2 seconds.  (This also forces a peer update.)
>>

> Why would you do this while the secondary was operating?
>
> I'm not sure what effects this will have upon the software.  I
> honestly have never tested it.  It's probably the reason you
> are getting 'no free leases'.  But that's a guess.
>
> This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, anyway.

   Well, it actually didn't matter if I did this or not.  The person who
posted his "partner-down" script had said that he was running it on a
regular basis.
   The No Free Leases is happening whether or not I do this.
-Greg G