DHCPD , dhcp relays on a large network

Alexandru Coseru alexandru.coseru at totaltelecom.ro
Thu Nov 9 22:55:11 UTC 2006

Hello..

I have a large network  with a couple of subnets and i want to configure =
a DHCPD server  to lease IP addresses  to clients , connected through =
layer3 switches with relay agents on them.

Attached  is a small representation  (no of l3 switches reduced , to =
make it easier to understand).

On each switch I have some subnets , each one assigned to a specific =
VLAN.
Between switches , I'm running OSPF  , linked with quagga on srv1   =
(configured as ASBR) , which is also an internet router  (running bgpd =
with several ISPs).

Srv1:   has ip address 10.1.1.1 on VLAN 2.        The switches have IP =
10.1.1.x  , on VLAN 2 also...   This VLAN is used for management and =
OSPF..
Each switch has an VLAN2 address  and a specific VLAN assigned to the =
clients subnet.      VLAN10,VLAN11 , VLAN12 , etc....

When I'm trying to declare all subnets in dhcpd.conf , i have the =
following error:    No subnet declaration for xxxxx.

I cannot define aliases on the srv1 , cause it will break the internet =
routing...

What should I do ?

a) Install an separate server for DHCPD  and define eth0:1   =
192.168.1.1/24 eth0:2 192.168.2.1/24 , etc  on it ?
b) Declare a subnet of  192.168.0.0/ 255.255.0.0  in dhcpd.conf ?

Thanks
    Alex