Cannot see the 'Offer' and 'Ack' packet with ethereal.

twanny at line.sytes.net twanny at line.sytes.net
Thu Nov 16 07:08:43 UTC 2006

> twanny at line.sytes.net wrote:
>
>>I have a phone adapter and I'm trying to network boot it. It is getting
>>the IP from the DHCP and I can ping it. The problem is that, with
>>ethereal, I can only see the 'DHCP Discover' and 'DHCP Request' packets.
>>
>>Any reason why I cannot see the 'Offer' and 'Ack' like with other pxe
>>clients.
>
> What filter are you giving ethereal ?

Hello Simon,

I'm not giving any filters at all. As I said, with the other client I can
see all four - discover, offer, request and ack.

What I noticed is that I have a route to 169.254.0.0, I believe that's
Microsoft's APIPA. And I cannot remove this with 'route del 169.254.0.0.

I'm stuck because I need to see what the dhcp client is receiveing.

Regards,
Twanny.