Cannot see the 'Offer' and 'Ack' packet with ethereal.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 09:03:56 UTC 2006

twanny at line.sytes.net wrote:

>I'm not giving any filters at all. As I said, with the other client I can
>see all four - discover, offer, request and ack.
>
>What I noticed is that I have a route to 169.254.0.0, I believe that's
>Microsoft's APIPA. And I cannot remove this with 'route del 169.254.0.0.
>
>I'm stuck because I need to see what the dhcp client is receiveing.

Other client ? Where are you doing the monitoring ? Server, another
network node ?

Is the client on the same subnet as the server, or a different subnet
? Does the server have more than one interface ?

One thought comes to mind, if you are monitoring from a third device
(ie not the server or client) then it will only see packets sent to
the ethernet broadcast address (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff), it won't see
packets sent to the IP broadcast address but directed to the clients
MAC - assuming you are using a switched network.

Does the behaviour change if you set the "always-broadcast" flag to on ?

Simon