No Dynamic update of my DNS when MAC computers take their fixed address

Armando González Arellanos armando.gonzalez at probiomed.com.mx
Tue Nov 21 18:16:43 UTC 2006

Hi

I have a question about dynamic DNS and DHCP.

I configure my DHCP to update dynamically my DNS. It works with Windows PCs
but when the MAC computers take their address. The DHCP don’t send the host
name (option host-name)of MAC computers to my DNS.

Here is my configuration file header:

authoritative;

ddns-update-style interim;

ignore client-updates;

shared-network probiomed.com {

                subnet 172.16.32.0 netmask 255.255.240.0 {

ddns-update-style interim;

ddns-domainname "probiomed.com.";

ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa.";

ddns-updates on;

ignore client-updates;

option routers 172.16.32.1;

option subnet-mask 255.255.240.0;

option broadcast-address 172.16.47.255;

option domain-name "probiomed.com.";

option domain-name-servers 172.16.32.19, 172.16.41.1;

option ntp-servers ntp-se.probiomed.com.mx;

option time-servers ntp-se.probiomed.com.mx;

range 172.16.41.180 172.16.41.254;

default-lease-time 28800;

max-lease-time 43200;

}

host 02-00-00248 {

                                        option host-name
"02-00-00248.probiomed.com";

                                        hardware ethernet 00:0C:76:04:09:FB;

                                        fixed-address 172.16.41.10;

                                        }

All my IP address in computers are assigned in the same way like this host.

I’m not interested to update the PCs or MAC with dynamic IP, only the PC
with fixed address. This is only used in the LAN with my internal DNS

I’m not sure that is the right configuration, I don’t know if I omit
something important.

Thank you in advance for your help

Armando Gonzalez