No Dynamic update of my DNS when MAC computers take their fixed address

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 23:37:02 UTC 2006

Armando González Arellanos wrote:

>shared-network probiomed.com {

Do you really have a shared network - it's
impossible to tell from what you posted since the
closing braces don't match the opening braces in
quantity and the indentation gives no clue.

>host 02-00-00248 {
>
>                                         option host-name
>"02-00-00248.probiomed.com";
>
>                                         hardware ethernet 00:0C:76:04:09:FB;
>
>                                         fixed-address 172.16.41.10;
>
>                                         }
>

>All my IP address in computers are assigned in the same way like this host.

By default, ddns does not happen with clients
given fixed addresses - only with dynamically
assigned addresses. You have three options :

1) Use dynamic addresses - it's what dhcp is good at.

2) Manually update the dns to match your dhcp config.

3) Set (IIRC) update-static-leases to true so
that the dns will be updated for statically
defined clients, but do read the manual (man
dhcpd.conf) first so you know what the drawbacks
are.