dhclient not able to obtain an IP address from my isp's cable modem

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Oct 10 17:15:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 11:56:40PM -0400, JC Ferguson wrote:
> Well, I got it to go.  Lord knows how/why, but it now works.  I had 2x
> 3COM cards, same vintage, in the box.  For the hell of it, I tried
> removing one of them and replacing it with a cheapo one based on the good
> old DEC TULIP chip.  This card was able to get a DHCP address w/o issue.

A sniffed packet exchange (hard to get out of linux because the
interface gets put 'down' so tcpdump exits...you have to manually
ifconfig up and start tcpdump, then ifstart/dhclient manually) of
the 'broken' case, and the lines dhclient emits at 'info' level to
syslog at the same time would be helpful if you encounter this
again.  Send the packet trace to dhcp-bugs at isc.org separately, the
dhcp-users list strips binary attachments.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DDNS & DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.