Sharing 1 IP Address

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 07:08:24 UTC 2006

Benjamin Wiechman wrote:

>Is there a quick and dirty way to allow the same IP address to be shared
>among several devices? Basically this is the problem: we have several
>customers on our wireless network who want to use more than one device but
>don't want to buy a router. We don't want to give them more than one IP
>since we run /27 blocks to reduce the impact of broadcast storms across our
>wireless point to multipoint connections.

Well you could do it by host assignments :

host bad_customer1 {
   hardware ethernet aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff ;
   fixed address 1.2.3.4 ;
}
host bad_customer1 {
   hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55 ;
   fixed address 1.2.3.4 ;

Otherwise, as Ted says, tell them to buy a router or stick to one device.

I've no idea what your terms of service are, but if you only give a
customer one IP address, then you should be well within your rights
to only give them one address - if you are using dhcp based on mac
address then it's reasonable for you to insist on them only using one
device.

Oh, there is another way - tell them to fake the MAC address on every
device so they are the same. From your end they will all appear to be
the same device, and it will confuse the hell out of them if they
ever connect two devices and can't figure out why the network doesn't
work for either :-)

Simon