option 51 ' dhcp-lease-time' vs other lease time statements

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Sep 19 16:49:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:46:41AM -0400, Aaron Bennett wrote:
> What's the difference?  What exactly does option 51 do and how does that
> compare to the other ways to specify a lease time?  What I'm looking for
> is the migrate the exact _intent_ of the Win2K configuration
> intelligently into isc-world.

In dhcpd.conf, 'option dhcp-lease-time foo;' will be over-ridden by
a value selected by the server.  So it will have no effect except to
cause a logline warning about the over-ride.

If the client supplies option 51, the server selects a value close to
the client-supplied value that falls between the min- and max-lease-time
config options.

If the client does not supply option 51, the server does the same thing
except uses the default-lease-time (so it's a good idea to choose a
default that is somewhere inside your min/max range).

If you're using failover, a second layer of complexity is added.

dhcp-suggest at isc.org please.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DDNS & DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.