DHCPrelay can't receive reply from the server

jgomez at infoweapons.com jgomez at infoweapons.com
Tue Apr 3 06:45:22 UTC 2007

Hi guys!

I had configured DHCP server listening on interface em0 and a client
requesting for Ip address on interface em1. so, in order that the client
and the DHCP server can exchange information, a dhcp relay agent is
configured between the DHCP server and the client.

Note: i use dhcp-3.0.5 release

                 (em1)       (em1)
   +-------------+     192.1.2.2 +-------------+

   |  128.1.2.x  +---------------+ relay agent |

   +-------------+               +------+------+

                                        |   (em0)
                                        | 128.1.2.2
                                        |

                                        |   (em0)
                                        | 128.1.2.1

                                  +-----+-------+

                                  | dhcp server |

                                  +-------------+

In the relay agent I execute:
/usr/sbin/dhcrelay - i em1 -i em0 -d -a 128.1.2.1

and in the dhcp server, I try to start the server listening
on interface em0 and with a subnet declaration for 128.1.2.x.
That is:

subnet 128.1.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
{
  range 128.1.2.20 128.1.2.66;

}

The client can't acquire an Ip address.. The relay agent can relay the
message to the server, but the the relay agent can't receive the reply
from the server.

But when I tried to check the network configuration, there's no problem
because the dhcpserver (128.1.2.1) can ping to 128.1.2.2 and can ping to
192.1.2.2.

if i have to configure the client a fixed address, it can ping to
192.1.2.2, it can also ping to 128.1.2.2 and it can also ping to
128.1.2.1.
So, i think there's no problem with routing..

Can anybody help me in finding what's the possible solution?

Thanks ;)

Jonna

--------
This email and/or attachments are confidential and may also be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified, that any review, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this email and/or attachments is strictly prohibited.
Please notify security at infoweapons.com immediately by email and