dhcp.conf relay howto?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Apr 3 13:46:08 UTC 2007

>Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:07:19 -0700
>From: Noah <admin2 at enabled.com>
>
>Hi,
>
>Is there a good How to so I can configure my dhcpd server to handle DHCP
>relayed leases for networks it is not directly attached to?

Man dhcpd.conf, and look for the section near the top titled EXAMPLES.
It shows a configuration with two subnets. In dhcpd.conf local subnets
are configured exactly the same way as remote subnets. The dhcp server
decodes incoming packets automatically and matches them up with the
correct subnet for you.

Where a relay agent has forwarded the request the agent inserts the
address of the interface where the request came in, the so-called
giaddr. From this information the dhcp server can decide which subnet
is appropriate.

regards,
-glenn