Configuring dhclient for DHCP Vendor Specific Options

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Aug 6 16:02:39 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 01:49:33AM +0530, Parag Nandedkar wrote:
> If I mention following two lines in dhcpclient.conf file :
>
> send vendor-class-identifier "ExampleClass";
> vendor option space Example;
>
> It says, vendor option space Example not found.

Did you include the definition of that space?

> How the client is going to accept these vendor specific parameters ?

I'm not sure I understand this question.

> Do I need to set some other parameter so that client will request vendor
> specific parameters ?

You need to add vendor-encapsulated-options to the parameter request
list.  This is done through the 'request' configuration statement,
which is mentioned in 'man dhclient.conf'.

> Where can I see the parameters sent by the server ?

At runtime, dhclient will execute /sbin/dhclient-script, and the
parameters will be in an environment variable according to their
name (eg "EXAMPLE_OPTION_NAME").

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/