Can PPTP client request the DHCPINFO via the PPP interface(s)?

Tian Tian tiantianml at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 17:14:35 UTC 2007

Thank you all for your reply!

Do you mean that I cannot start the dhcpd as "./dhcpd
-cf /var/etc/dhcpd.conf ppp0"? And have to do the dhcp
relay as "./dhcrelay -i ppp0"? Could you please give
me a example? (sorry, a little confused!)

Thanks again,

Tian Tian

--------------------------------
>You are right, the pptp client gets the address from
>the pptp server not the DHCPd. But the pptp client
>also try to get other info like the DNS info from the
>dhcp server. I saw the DHCPINFO request from the
>sniffer, it seems the dhcpd doesn't receive the
>request.

It is normal for the PPP server to hand out this
information - having
obtained it if necessary from the DHCP server.

At 19:11 -0700 9/8/07, Matt Cowger wrote:
>If you are relying on your DHCP server to provide
answers to those
>requests, you will indeed need to bind it to the ppp
interface.

Don't forget that the ISC server doesn't bind (IIRC)
with a PPP
interface. It will work fine if the PPP server is on
another machine
AND that other machine also correctly handles the
packets correctly
(relaying if required - but the same limitation
applies !).