dhcpinform request from Vista gets wrong Name servers

Sten Carlsen sten at s-carlsen.dk
Wed Aug 15 23:42:49 UTC 2007

David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 09:55:14PM +0200, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>
>> Maybe I misunderstood? I understood the problem so that DHCPOFFER gives
>> the correct values and DHCPINFORM gives wrong values.
>>

> It's twisty.
>

>> If that is correct, my proposal will solve the problem. DHCPOFFER taking
>> values from the options in the subnet declaration (or range) and the
>> DHCPINFORM takes the values from the general options. So matching
>> DHCPINFORM to the range its address belongs to and using those values
>> should work.
>>

> Remember the DHCPINFORM would be used by both parties...there are
> Vista boxes that get a lease and then INFORM anyway on both sides.
>
> To the question 'what are my nameservers?' there are 2 answers in
> this hypothetical network.  Half the population should get one, half
> should get the other answer.  It's broken if either gets the other's
> answer.
>
> If you reverse the search order on DHCPINFORM, then you fix the first
> population and give them their correct answer.  But you also break
> the second population by giving them the first's answer.

Basically I would want to use the exact same search order for both
message types, hoping to get the same results. So what ever
group/class/subnet/range the host belongs to when the OFFER is sent,
would also apply when the INFORM is sent; if this will not give the same
answer, I am missing something important here.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: