dhcpinform request from Vista gets wrong Name servers

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Aug 15 20:33:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 09:55:14PM +0200, Sten Carlsen wrote:
> Maybe I misunderstood? I understood the problem so that DHCPOFFER gives
> the correct values and DHCPINFORM gives wrong values.

It's twisty.

> If that is correct, my proposal will solve the problem. DHCPOFFER taking
> values from the options in the subnet declaration (or range) and the
> DHCPINFORM takes the values from the general options. So matching
> DHCPINFORM to the range its address belongs to and using those values
> should work.

Remember the DHCPINFORM would be used by both parties...there are
Vista boxes that get a lease and then INFORM anyway on both sides.

To the question 'what are my nameservers?' there are 2 answers in
this hypothetical network.  Half the population should get one, half
should get the other answer.  It's broken if either gets the other's
answer.

If you reverse the search order on DHCPINFORM, then you fix the first
population and give them their correct answer.  But you also break
the second population by giving them the first's answer.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/