netbooting Apple Xserves, not working since dhcp version 3.0pl1-9a

Aaron Johnson ajohnson at terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 16 19:26:35 UTC 2007

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Aaron Johnson top posted without trimming:
>

>> Ok, here is my current dhcpd.conf, and I have compiled dhcp 3.0.6 from
>> tarball source and using that I still cannot get the Xserve to netboot,
>> it looks like bootp isn't getting recognized as such, see
>> /var/log/messages below.  Can anyone even confirm if they have netboot
>> working with Apple ppc64 Xserves with dhcp 3.0.1 or higher?
>>

> Just as a thought, have you read any of the Apple documentation
> (http://www.apple.com/server/documentation/) on Netboot to see if it
> has any special requirements. I know their documents are mostly
> written on the basis of using OS X Server, but they do tend to detail
> the underlying configs required - ISTR in the past seeing details of
> the DHCP options the clients expected to receive.

Ya I have looked at that sight, alot.  What I don't get is that we have
been able to netboot our Xserves for years up until the release of dhcp
3.0.1 then we no longer can.  I made all the necessary changes as far as
I know to the dhcp.conf that are needed but the dhcp server still
doesn't seem to recognize a bootp request from apple hardware.  It does
just fine with my x86 laptop that I used for testing so I'm not sure
what happened.