netbooting Apple Xserves, not working since dhcp version 3.0pl1-9a

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Aug 17 12:04:22 UTC 2007

>Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:50:09 -0600
>From: Aaron Johnson <ajohnson at terrasoftsolutions.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: netbooting Apple Xserves, not working since dhcp version 3.0pl1-9a
>
>Ok, here is my current dhcpd.conf, and I have compiled dhcp 3.0.6 from
>tarball source and using that I still cannot get the Xserve to netboot,
>it looks like bootp isn't getting recognized as such, see
>/var/log/messages below.  Can anyone even confirm if they have netboot
>working with Apple ppc64 Xserves with dhcp 3.0.1 or higher?
>
>dhcpd.conf:
>authoritative;
>allow bootp;
>ddns-update-style interim;
>default-lease-time 30000000000;
>
>  option dhcp-parameter-request-list = 1:3:dc:dd:e6:e8:e9:ea:eb:ed:ee;
>
>  option mac-nc-client-unknown code 220 = string;
>  option mac-nc-client-id code 221 = text;
>  option mac-version code 230 = string;
>  option mac-user-name code 232 = text;
>  option mac-password code 233 = text;
>  option mac-nb-img code 234 = string;
>  option mac-apps-img code 235 = string;
>  option mac-machine-name code 237 = text;
>
>  option mac-version = 0;
>  option mac-user-name = "netboot";

You probably need to supply more configuration options. For example
settings such as "next-server", "option tftp-server", values for the
rest of the mac-* options and so on.

My guess is that it is trying the DHCPINFORM because it didn't get all
the information it required in the dhcp response.

Running the old daemon and capturing the network traffic will show what
options were set. COmpare that when runiong the new daemon and then add
in the extra configuration until you have all those options specified.

The reason it worked with the earlier version is that somone did some
serious hacking on the source to add in the extra functionality. Seems
like most of that can be done in the config file now, but you need to
look at that patch, see what extra options, settings, etc, it secretly
puts in there, and duplicate that functionality in the new dhcpd.conf.

regards,
-glenn