Getting IP range for different network

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 16:14:17 UTC 2007

Abu Abdulla alhanbali wrote:

>Is there a way that specific devices receive different IP range from the
>subnet that it is in using dhcp-client-identifier.

Yes and no. First go and read the man pages, and study the section on
shared-network.

>for example I have a voice unit in a network (172.19.0.0) that should
>receive a private ip (e.g. 10.0.1.5). The relay agent for the unit is
>172.19.0.1 and it has a Client identifier of "SipuraTe" (Client MAC address:
>SipuraTe_e8:4e:bf). This is because I don't know if the gatway of the device
>(10.0.1.1) support DHCP relay agent or not.

Setup a shared network with subnets for 172.19.0.0/24 and
10.0.1.0/24. Then setup a class that will match your voice clients -
you can use whatever conditions you wish/have available. Then specify
"allow <classname>" in the 10.0.1.0 pool and "deny <classname>" in
the 172.19.0.0 pool.

DHCP will NOT allocate an address to a client that is not in the
subnet which the server believes the client is located, so without
defining the shared subnet, the server just won't do it.