How to run in failover but NOT load balancing?

Nomad atxnomad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:56:28 UTC 2007

I think I've misunderstood something in setting up DHCP 3.1.0.  I have two
servers and I want them to run in failover mode, not load-balancing,  with
one server providing service to all dhcp requests and the other acting as a
standby.  I have both listed in the router's configuration (ip
helper-address).  Is this supported under the failover protocol
implemenation?  Or is the only way to run two servers to have them load
balance?  I'd like to run in the active-standy mode to simplify
troubleshooting so I don't have to figure out which server has acted on a
client's request.  Initially I thought I could do this with the "split"
statement but everything I've read tells me I should keep the split value at
 128  which implies balancing between the two servers.