FPAD packets killing server?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Feb 27 11:41:25 UTC 2007

>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:54:29 -0500
>From: Paul Keck <pkeck at uga.edu>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: FPAD packets killing server?
>
>On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 09:23:19PM +1100, Glenn Satchell wrote:
>> You definitely need to upgrade to a newer version of ISC DHCPD. 3.0pl2
>> is about 6-7 years old bow, with only 2 security fixes since then. Even
>> 3.0.1 is about 4 years old, so neither of those is a reasonable
>> candidate.
>
>Thanks Glenn!  The server is a RHEL 4 box and 3.0.1 is apparently what Red
>Hat approves for that version.  The sysadmins generally don't run anything
>until Red Hat releases it, but I guess I'll have to ask them to bend on
>this.  Where would you suggest they get an RPM for it?  They REALLY don't
>like running specially compiled packages- interferes with their mass
>management model.

That's one of the reasons some people don't like RHEL :)
You could use an RPM from Fedora (not sure about dependancies) or look
on the net:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dhcp+3.0.5+rpm

>Are you thinking there is a specific fix that went in for this, or is this
>more of a "nobody is seeing this in current versions, so we must have fixed
>it somewhere along the line"?

Even if you don't compile it, download the source and have a look at
the docs. There are a couple of hundred fixes listed between 3.0.5 and
3.0 in the RELNOTES file.

>> The only statement you might like to add is 'authoritative' since the
>> default behaviour changed somewhere along the way.
>
>We are already authoritative so that shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, cool.

>Thanks again!

No problem.

regards,