Motorola Settop boxes

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 18:47:29 UTC 2007

Kingston, Ken wrote:

>Has anybody successfully used the Isc server with a Motorola Settop box.
>It appears to pick up it's parameters correctly the first time but once
>it loads it's OS which is Windows CE based it has to do a second dhcp
>call and this does not successfully retrieve all it's parameters. Any
>suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the contents of the clients requests ? Are they
requesting any options that the server is not providing ?
That is the first place I would look as it's quite possible that the
device requires some information that you are not providing - and it
is quite entitled to ignore any lease offer that doesn't provide what
it needs.

The second thing to look at is what it's requirements are in terms of
what the options may contain - and it's also the hardest since this
is unlikely to be documented. As an example, I once had a Minolta
di620 copier with pi6000 rip attached and I never did get it to
accept a lease. I found out quite by accident some years after I'd
manually configured it that, for some reason that must have made
sense to the developers, it would not accept a lease with an expiry
date of less than TWO YEARS in the future !

I suspect that what you have is part of a system where you are
expected to use the vendors servers to provide configuration (it's
not uncommon with this type of device). If so, then it might help if
you can get packet dumps of a successful exchange with the vendors
'approved' configuration so you can compare them with your own
packets.