client request preferred IP address

Jeff Weber jweber at amsc.com
Wed Jul 18 20:50:30 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 15:24, Evan Hunt wrote:
> > Is there a mechanism to specify a preferred IP address to pass to the
> > DHCP client?  That is, I'd like a specific IP address from the DHCP
> > server, if the IP address is available.  If not, I'll take whatever the
> > server has available.

[snip]

> If you mean you want to make the client request a particular address from
> the server, that's not currently user-configurable.  (I might do something
> about that at some point.)
This is what I was looking for.

I _usually_ have the same IP address assigned by the DHCP server.  Where is
this "memory" that tries to give me the same IP address?  If it's in the
server, I'm out of luck.  But if the client tells the server the last IP
address it held, perhaps this could be exploited.   For example, could I edit
the fixed-address line in the last lease I held prior to starting up my dhcp
client?

	thanks,
	Jeff
--