client request preferred IP address

Evan Hunt Evan_Hunt at isc.org
Wed Jul 18 20:24:32 UTC 2007

> Is there a mechanism to specify a preferred IP address to pass to the
> DHCP client?  That is, I'd like a specific IP address from the DHCP
> server, if the IP address is available.  If not, I'll take whatever the
> server has available.

If you mean you want to configure the server to send a particular address
to a particular client, based on its MAC address or client ID, you can do
that with a "host" statement in dhcpd.conf.

If you mean you want to make the client request a particular address from
the server, that's not currently user-configurable.  (I might do something
about that at some point.)

Evan Hunt -- evan_hunt at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.