configuration for different networks

Jared Greenwald greenwaldjared at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:13:04 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Sten Carlsen <sten at s-carlsen.dk> wrote:
> You probably want to check the man pages for "dhclient-enter-hooks".
>
> I have in my dhclient-enter-hooks:
> #  /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
> #  This file should stop some of the damage done by dhclient.
>
> function make_resolv_conf() { return; }
>
> function make_ntp_conf() { return; }
>

> The function "make_resolv_conf()" replaces the built-in function that
> writes out a new resolv.conf when receiving the packet from the server.
>
> The last function "make_ntp_conf()" is not standard, but made by my self
> to avoid dhclient tampering with my ntp.conf. This should be standard
> but that is a different discussion.

I see what you're trying to do, but what I don't get is why not just
get rid of the appropriate entries from the request line in the
dhclient.conf (domain-name-servers, time-offset)?  Also, does this
configuration help you when you first boot up?  How do you get the
initial configuration if you happen to be on a different network?

Thanks,
Jared