Converting from load sharing to stand alone

Ian Anderson Ian.Anderson at clearwire.com
Sun Jun 10 18:44:37 UTC 2007

In case anyone ever runs across this, migrating from load sharing to standalone is easy.
Stop both dhcp servers   (This is a must in order to keep the dhcpd.leases file from being updated)
Edit your config file and remove the "pool" statements and just use "range". (I am not sure if this step is required but that is what I did)
Comment out the failover-include file in dhcpd.conf
Start dhcpd

dhcpd is going to complain about an unknown directive for "failover peer" in the dhcpd.leases file, but it will continue to load.  After it has processed the dhcpd.leases file, it removes the failover declaration from it.  You will have slightly higher load on the server as the server-identifier for the secondary server no longer exists, so clients will need to do a full DHCPDISCOVER to get an IP.