DHCP and BOOTP

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 20:26:57 UTC 2007

Doug Caviness wrote:

>I am running ISC DHCP 3.0.5 in a failover configuration. A new
>requirement has come down the pipeline: I need to be able to provide IP
>addresses via BOOTP on one subnet.
>

>I am currently trying to get BOOTP working on the same subnet the DCHP
>servers are located. Once that works then I will move the BOOTP client
>to the final subnet. I have the client box on the subnet the DHCP
>servers are on to eliminate any routing issues.
>

>What do I need in the DHCP configuration file to have it respond to
>BOOTP requests? Will it work in a failover configuration? I don't want
>to have to hard code the MAC/IP because these are units coming in for
>repair and the MAC address will change frequently.

You cannot mix failover and bootp IIRC. What I would suggest is to
set up a separate pool for bootp clients - on one server only.

You will then have the problem of aging old leases. Bootp doesn't
have any concept of lease times, so by default dhcpd will record
'infinite' leases - but IIRC there is an option to set an end time
when they will all get removed. An alternative in a test environment
might be to run a script overnight to stop the server, delete any
bootp leases older than a certain age, and restart the server.