FW: DHCP and BOOTP

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Jun 26 21:46:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 12:51:31PM -0700, Doug Caviness wrote:
> I am running ISC DHCP 3.0.5 in a failover configuration. A new
> requirement has come down the pipeline: I need to be able to provide IP
> addresses via BOOTP on one subnet.

If it doesn't need to be failover protected, no problem.  Define a
small range on one server (or two different small ranges on both
servers) that only allow dynamic bootp.

If you want it to be failover protected, you need 3.1.0.  Sort of.

I've also just noticed that although all the support at the failover
protocol layer for bootp leases is in the server, we forgot to remove
the parse error if you fail to configure "deny dyanmic bootp;" in the
pool.

So if you want to snarf the latest 3.1.0 and remove that parse
warning from server/confpars.c lines 1515 to 1567...it might
even work!

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/