problem with dhcp setup

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Jun 26 22:15:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:05:10AM -0800, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Oh, that's right.   Sorry, it's been a long time since I looked at
> that part of the spec.   So if you send an ORO, then the server can't
> send you anything you didn't ask for in the ORO.   If you don't send
> an ORO, it can send you whatever it wants.   But if you send an ORO
> and don't request the right stuff, then what I said stands - you
> really don't want the server to volunteer options in that case.

But...Section 18.1.1 ("Creation and Transmission of Request Messages"):

   The client MUST include an Option Request option (see section 22.7)
   to indicate the options the client is interested in receiving.

This is why ISC "dhclient -6" insists that a dhcp6.oro be configured,
or it'll fail to run.

Either we do a Request eventually in runtime, or we will have already
done one if we're restarting ("Confirm"), or we're likely to have to
do one if anything happens to our lease.  Better to fail early than
late.

I just wrote this off as yet another part of rfc3315 that wants
you to "be liberal."  Send, receive, whatever.

But if that's not the case we should probably tell dhcwg.  I'll
send a note anyway.

Sorry about the "send dhcp6.oro 1, 2, ...;" stuff by the way.  I know
its kludgy.  I want to do a proper option request semantic (with a
default list, since we MUST supply one) sometime before 4.0.0 final
hopefully.  I didn't want that work to delay testing, which we're
obviously getting. :)

THANKS for that by the way Suprasad.  Let us know how it goes good
or bad!

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/