problem with dhcp setup

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 06:45:17 UTC 2007

John Jason Brzozowski wrote:

>Having the client fail to run if dhcov6.oro is missing was a bit
>inconvenient.  I would certainly prefer something that is more forgiving.

Where do you draw the line ?

"Having the client fail to run if the binary is missing is a bit
inconvenient. I would certainly prefer something that is more
forgiving." ?

"Having the firewall fail to correctly start & configure when it's
config files are missing is a bit inconvenient. I would certainly
prefer something that is more forgiving." ?

"Having the system fail to run if the kernel is missing is a bit
inconvenient. I would certainly prefer something that is more
forgiving." !

The installer can install a default settings file, but should this be
deleted then I would say it's perfectly reasonable to not run until
essential files have been replaced. I'm with David on this, IPv6 DHCP
is young enough to be able to set off on the right footing - and that
HAS to mean that broken clients are broken and to be fixed by the
vendor, NOT broken clients are something to be tolerated and worked
around.

I dare say we'll still end up working around bugs when some major
vendor ships a broken client and refuses to fix it - but until then I
think it's right to expect "the right thing".