SAFELY removing bogus entries in dhcpd.leases

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Mar 15 11:34:06 UTC 2007

>Subject: SAFELY removing bogus entries in dhcpd.leases
>Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:33:25 -0700
>From: "Doug Caviness" <Doug.Caviness at jdsu.com>
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>
>I have a failover configuration on two Solaris 9 machines using ISC
>3.0.1. There are 3 subnets (10.10.10.0, 10.10.14.0, 10.10.80.0)
>configured in dhcpd.conf that no longer exist and I want to remove them
>from DHCP. However when I commented out one of them on both servers,
>then rebooted dhcp one at a time I got lot's of error messages. No, I
>don't remember what the messages were. I just uncommented real quickly.

(snip)

>Not only does this cruft left behind offend my sense of order, it messes
>up my status reporting.
>
>So, how do I safely remove this stuff and then remove the subnets out of
>dhcpd.conf? The sentence "It is possible to delete a declaration in the
>dhcpd.conf fle; in this case the rubout can never be eliminated from the
>dhcpd.leases file" has me a little gun-shy

Ok, the 'error' message is a warning about every lease in the leases
file that matches the subnet you deleted. Just let it run through as it
deletes all the invalid leases.

BTW 3.0.1 is pretty old and you should consider an upgrade to 3.0.5
which fixes a *lot* of bugs to do with failover. Completely compatible
with dhcpd.conf and dhcpd.leases from your currnt version.

regards,
-glenn