dhcpd performance?

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Tue May 1 21:19:38 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd at firmix.at> wrote:

> Harmless. Even in Austria, some of the smaller cable networks today have
> more than 2000 cablemodems. And all use DHCP. And if you reboot the
> CMTS/headend, all of th cablemodem boot. And the DHCP server (on
> small/cheap hardware) is not the bottleneck.

CMs have a backoff algorithm that helps settle minislot contention.
So, even though all the modems may reboot at once, they know how to
play nicely with the available bandwidth.  That is, not all 2000 CMs
are requesting at the same time.  I don't know exactly how the phones
behave in this scenario.
--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in