Windows leases through a PC reset

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue May 8 22:24:13 UTC 2007

SCOTT BURGIN wrote:

>to be clear ( I don't think my original post was after I read it
>myself ) - the situation is one where the DHCP
>server is up and operational at a corporate headquarters - a remote
>PC off the corporate WAN is cut off from the headquarters (say a WAN
>outage has occurred).  What happens what that PC reboots and can't
>"see" the DHCP server ?

I was thinking 'server down', but it doesn't matter as the effect is the same.

>I find Simon's observation that it may check other things (i.e. a
>ping of its last known default gateway) interesting.
>In the case described above, the PC would in fact be able to ping
>its default gateway it last had (say a local layer 3 switch), but
>not be able to talk to the DHCP server.

It would be the router it checks - I guess a L3 switch is really just
a switch with embedded router. I suspect that it does an ARP request
and checks to see if the same device responds. I'm curious now, I'll
check tomorrow !