Windows leases through a PC reset

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 10 19:16:46 UTC 2007

I wrote:

>I'm curious now, I'll check tomorrow !

OK, it wasn't 'tomorrow, but I've had a look and this is what I found
with the dhcp server turned off (t=0 is when the first packet is
logged) :

PC does three DHCP Requests, at t=0, t=4s, and t=13s

At t=28s to t=30s it does three Gratuitous ARP broadcasts for it's
previous IP address (thus checking for anything else using the
address).

It then does an ARP request for the router and gets a reply.

After that it starts using the address and there's a pile of NBNS
packets and over the next minute or two it elects itself as Master
Browser (it's the only Windoze system on the network).

So that seems quite reasonable. The dhcp server cannot be reached but
the client has a valid lease, nothing else is using the address, and
the router is the same as last time - thus it should be safe to carry
on using the address.