Leases for fixed-address hosts not written to lease file?

Steve van der Burg steve.vanderburg at lhsc.on.ca
Wed May 23 12:41:18 UTC 2007

>>> Simon Hobson wrote:
> Steve van der Burg wrote:
>
>>Using dhcpd-3.0.4, I can't seem to figure out why a lease given to a
>>host with configuration like this (pushed to the server via omshell)
>>
>>   host 00-19-bb-d7-8a-c2 {
>>     dynamic;
>>     hardware ethernet 00:19:bb:d7:8a:c2;
>>     fixed-address 10.136.76.224;
>>   }
>>
>>doesn't show up in the leases file.  I can see that the lease is
>>fine (by checking what the client gets), and all of my "normal" (ie.
>>no fixed address, just regular dynamic address assignment) leases
>>are logged just fine.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
> Yes
>
> The server does not write lease records for such leases - on the
> basis that it doesn't need to, all the information it needs is in the
> config file.

After sending my original message to the list, yesterday, I discovered an earlier reference to the same question here: http://groups.google.ca/group/lucky.freebsd.questions/browse_thread/thread/5c736794694d1003/69d6fb31c584e907?lnk=st&q=isc+dhcpd+not+recording+fixed+address+leases&rnum=1&hl=en#69d6fb31c584e907

There's a patch referenced in that message to get the fixed-address leases written out to another file, but now I can't find that anywhere.  If someone could just point me to the approximate spot in the source where I'd need to hack something similar in, it would likely save me a bit of work unwinding what's already in there.

...Steve