OMAPI "key conflict"

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 11 09:36:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 19:03 -0500, Allie Hopkins wrote:
> Not quite.
>
> If you have a host declared with a fixed IP, then it will receive that
> number IF viable for that subnet.  Otherwise, it will simply grab one
> from the dynamic range.
>
> The multiple addresses you are trying to create, I assume, are for two
> different networks.  It will pick that one that works.  If none works,
> then it picks from the range statement of the correct pool.
>
> Don't create the host three times.  Create it either twice (once for
> each IP) or only once with both IPs listed together.  The third host
> declaration with just the mac is not needed if you have it defined any
> other way.

Ok. Re-reading "man dhcpd.conf" I think I understand. If I have:

host foo {
  hardware ethernet 11:22:33:44:55:66;
  fixed-address 192.168.0.10, 192.168.1.10;
}

then:

 * on subnet 192.168.0.0/24, the first IP will cause the host
declaration to match
 * on subnet 192.168.1.0/24, the second IP
 * on any other subnet, the host declaration will never match but the
host is still "known" therefore it can get into a dynamic pool

So the only thing I lose is the ability to hand out options in the
latter case (since the host decl. won't match)

I'll have to test this, but if so it provides a possible way forward.

It's still a shame that OMAPI will forbid creation of hosts which are
legal in the config file though :o(