Vista doesn't ack dhcp offer

Doug Tucker tuckerd at engr.smu.edu
Tue Sep 18 19:30:58 UTC 2007

I searched the archives, and honestly cannot believe I didn't see a
million messages about this subject.  Searching google, I do find the
million I expected, but no workable solution for me.  Please everyone,
it's not going to help to get in a discussion about who is right on this
one, I just need a fix.  Everywhere I look all I see is links to the MS
KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us requiring users
to hack the registry to fix the problem.  While this does work, it
doesn't work for our environment.  I work at a University, where all the
new incoming student bought brand new Vista laptops, that now won't work
with our dhcp server.  We are not set up to support all these students
and help them change their registry settings, yet, we HAVE to provide
them network access via dhcp.  They are coming to class and cannot work
because they cannot get on.  Our dhcp server is debian, dhcp3-server
version 3.0.4-13.  I tried setting the flag always-broadcast on; in the
dhcpd.conf file, but it does not fix the issue.  Is there a way, since
the Vista client is indeed meeting the allowed parameters in the rfc, to
configure the server to work with Vista?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated, this is giving us big headaches right now.

Sincerely,

Doug